China Orthopedic Instrument Industry Report, 2013-2015
Benefiting from aging of population, consumption upgrade and policy support, China's orthopedic instrument industry has seen rapid development over the years, with total market size rising from 3.28 billion yuan in 2006 to 9.85 billion yuan in 2012.
Trauma products, spine products and joint products constitute the three major market segments of Chinese orthopedic instrument industry. In 2012, the three principal products accounted for an aggregate market share of about 82.2%, of which, trauma products showed the highest, approximately 35.5%, with market size up 18.24% YoY; spine and joint products ranked second (up 12.6% YoY) and third (up 12.4% YoY), respectively.
In recent years, along with the increasing investment of foreign-funded enterprises in China, the trend of foreign monopoly has been more evident. After the acquisition of Synthes in 2012, Johnson & Johnson has turned into the largest company in China's orthopedic instrument market, with market share of both trauma and spine products occupying the first place.
In November 2012, Medtronic purchased KangHui Medical for $816 million, thus making an important step in Chinese orthopedic instrument market localization. Compared with Medtronic's high-end positioning, affordable KangHui products can help Medtronic expand low- and medium-end markets in emerging countries and regions (including China). In 2012, Medtronic (including KangHui Medical) occupied 15.9% of China's spine market.
Stryker is a world-renowned orthopedic instrument enterprise, and its joint products account for about 20% of global market share. In January 2013, Stryker acquired Trauson Holdings for $764 million, and in virtue of the latter’s R&D and manufacturing capacity and distribution network advantages further expanded its market share in China, expected to occupy 8%-10% of China's orthopedic market in 2013.
Relying on powerful R&D strength and mature distribution network, Weigao has already become the largest local supplier of orthopedic devices in China. In 2012, its orthopedic device business achieved revenue of 223 million yuan, and trauma equipment products occupied market share of 5.1% or so.
In future, the Chinese orthopedic instrument market will encounter more fierce competition, in which small companies due to low R&D level, insufficient production capacity and non-standard quality control tend to be gradually eliminated, and the market will be further concentrated in industry magnates with superb financial and technical strength.
China Orthopedic Instrument Industry Report, 2013-2015 of ResearchInChina mainly covers the followings:
- Overview, market structure and development prospect, etc. of global orthopedic instrument industry;
- Market structure, competition pattern, barriers to entry, import & export, etc. of China orthopedic instrument industry;
- Development environment (including policy environment, development prospects as well as development of upstream and downstream industries) for China orthopedic instrument industry;
- Operating conditions, etc. of 12 orthopedic instrument companies (including Johnson & Johnson, Medtronic, Stryker, Weigao, Shanghai Kinetic, Beijing AKEC Medical, United Orthopedic Corporation, etc.) in China.
China Orthopedic Instrument Industry Report, 2013-2015
Related reports :
- Research Report on Hemodialysis Industry in China, 2014-2018
Hemodialysis (also HD) is one of the replace therapy for patients with acute and chronic renal failure. There are globally 2.2 million uremia patients (end stage renal disease, ESRD) receiving dialysis treatment, including over 89% of them receivi...
- China PTCA Balloon Market Investment Report, 2014-2016
PTCA balloon, as a indispensable medical device in percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), serves not only as a delivery system for stent, but also as a device for pre-/post-stent dilatations. Therefore, the development of PTCA balloon industry ...
- China Interventional Cardiovascular Device Industry Report, 2014-2017
The prevalence of cardiovascular disease in China impacted by accelerated aging of population and changes in consumption concept, dietary habit, way of working and other lifestyles has been growing year after year, thereby promoting the developmen...
- Research Report on China Foot-and-mouth Disease (FMD) Vaccine Industry, 2014-2018
China is the world's largest producer and consumer of pork with the output volume accounting nearly 50% of the total. According to the statistics of agricultural production from the National Bureau of Statistics of China, the annual output volume ...
- Research Report on China Avian Influenza Vaccine Industry, 2014-2018
Many countries choose to kill all infected poultry to control avian influenza, instead of immunizations. The total number of poultry exceeds 10 billion in China. Epidemic diseases, which are difficult to control, will result in huge losses. Theref...
- Research Report on China Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome (PRRS) Vaccine Industry, 2014-2018
China is the world's largest producer and consumer of pork with the output volume of pork accounting for nearly 50% of the total. The output volume of pork was 54.93 million tons in China in 2013, up by 2.8% YOY. The livestock volume of pigs was 4...
- Global and China Stem Cell Industry Report, 2014-2017
Stem cells are undifferentiated biological cells that can differentiate into specialized cells and can divide (through mitosis) to produce more stem cells. Stem cell therapy can be applied to treatment of cardiovascular diseases, leukemia (a kind ...
- Research Report on China Swine Fever Vaccine Industry, 2014-2018
China is the world's largest producer and consumer of pork with the output volume accounting nearly 50% of the total. The output volume of pork was 54.93 million tons in China in 2013, up by 2.8% YOY. The livestock volume of pigs was 474.11 millio...
- Research Report on China's Haemophilus Influenza B (HIB) Vaccine Industry, 2013-2017
Haemophilus influenza type B is a kind of haemophilus influenza with extremely strong invasiveness. Among all the serious infections caused by haemophilus influenzas, almost 90% were caused by haemophilus influenza type B. According to the...
- China Independent Clinical Laboratory Industry Report,2013-2015
Restricted by the health care system and the medical inspection level (Chinese firms mainly lag behind foreign counterparts in molecular diagnostics and other special tests), Chinese independent clinical laboratory market only values RMB2.5-3 bill...